Thursday, January 28, 2010

My First Mammogram

I had my first mammogram last week. Some docs say at age 35 you should have your first mammogram as a baseline for comparison for later mammograms. The docs at the Army hospital in Hawaii did not agree, even though my aunt was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It is so frustrating that doctors do not agree on things that are as important as your health. I understand about the cost of the tests, but there has to be some kind of happy medium. I am thankful that my new doc supports the baseline test. I do have to admit, I am not very good at remembering to do monthly self exams and know that a large percentage of lumps are found during monthly self exams. Unfortunately, it does not help me to remember to do them.

I was escorted into the exam room and the tech asked me to remove my deodorant with an alcohol wipe(they provide a spray deodorant for after the exam). I put on the gown that tied in the front of course. The tech was a down to business sort of woman, not rude, just lets get to the task at hand. I was expecting the exam to be uncomfortable because of the machine but not because of the way the tech was handling my breasts. She was squeezing and pulling and pressing them to get them into the correct position. I don't have large breasts and that maybe why she had to handle them in that fashion. She placed my breast on this cold, metal pedestal like stand that is lowered or raised according to the patients height and begins pulling my breast out and pressing it down onto the pedestal. Then a clear plastic piece that kind of reminded me of a rather large square measuring cup came down and squeezed my breast even more. She asks "Are you ok?" Am I ok? Really...my samll little breast is squished into a flat pancake. But I pleasantly said "Oh yes, I'm fine." This went on for 5 more times (I had 3 pictures of each breast). Before she left the room; she tells me that they may have to have me come back for additional pics and that it was normal. I was silently praying that would not be the case, not because I didn't want them to find anything (which I don't) but because I didn't want to have to go through it again so soon. To top off this whole experience, the exam was right before my period so my breast were sore for alot longer than they should have been. So my advice is to plan your exam thoughtfully. Why is it that women have to go through all of these painful and embarrassing situations...periods,cramps,pap smears, pregnancy, childbirth, mammograms...and the men get off easy until they are 40 and then they have their first prostate exam. NOT FAIR!!!

1 comments:

April said...

Oh Carol! That is terrible. I had a mammogram once, and they are so cold, hard and painful. Ouch! I am glad you got it done though. I am sure everything will turn out fine and danty, but I am praying just the same.