Well, we've been in Maine for over a week now and I waited to update our blog to see if my first impressions would change. Unfortunately it hasn't so I will give you some insight of our first days here. It is cold. It has rained almost everyday. It is a nice sized city. Everything is easy and quick to get to unlike Hawaii where you have to plan 30 mins to get anywhere and pray the traffic isn't backed up. Did I mention it is cold and raining every day. I feel crazy for wearing a sweater in July. Speaking of which we had to got out and buy a couple to get us through until we get our stuff delivered. I hate wearing closed toe shoes everyday!! I had to get another pair of those too. Ed is having difficulty giving up his Hawaiian style of dress. He has been wearing shorts and flip flops with long sleeve shirts everyday all the while suffering through the chill. He finally broke down today and wore jeans and a sweatshirt but still had on his flip flops. He is not the only freak though, we see people dressed in shorts and flip flops everyday. Other than the cold and rain, we are enjoying visiting all of the stores we didn't have in Hawaii. We drove to an outlet mall yesterday the "scenic" way so we didn't have to pay a toll. Anyway, we were at a red light in this one small town south of us (I think it was Kenebunk which is a stones throw away from Kenebunk Port where the President comes for some holidays) and we heard church bells ringing signifing noon. It was so quaint. Most of the houses, which were big Victorian, had red, white and blue swags in all of their windows. It was a very cute area. Other than that, we haven't ventured out except to go to the commissary about 30 mins away. It was a little disappointing, old and small. The aisles were so narrow and on top of that, they were stocking the shelves so shopping was difficult. I guess I perfer to deal with shelf stocking while I shop than to see the shelves empty of the products I need which was the case in Hawaii often. I can't believe how many food products are offered on the mainland that we didn't get in Hawaii. But I have noticed some things we are missing here. Our favorite tortillas are Hawaii made and so is my favorite bread. Time to try new brands.
Thursday, July 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment